Frequently Asked Questions

A DAA is an agency that has received the authority from the Provincial Director of Child Welfare through a delegation agreement to undertake administration of all or parts of the Child, Family and Community Service Act. NIȽ TU,O has a C4 delegation agreement that allows it to offer voluntary and guardianship services and to recruit, train and support family home caregivers.
NIȽ TU,O celebrated 20 years of service to our communities in 2017.
NIȽ TU,O is legally a society and operates under the rules of the SOCIETIES ACT. This means that the agency is guided by a Board of Directors. Our Board of Directors is made up of the Chiefs (or their appointed alternates) of the seven Nations that we serve. The Board of Directors are responsible for hiring the agency’s Executive Director (ED) and approving the policies, mission statements and budgets of the agency. The ED is accountable to the board for overseeing the day to day operations of the agency and hiring the staff (managers, administration staff, social workers and family support workers) who deliver our services.
No. At this time NIȽ TU,O does not conduct child protection investigations. Reports of child abuse/neglect regarding parents living in the communities we serve are followed up on by social workers from the Ministry of Children and Family Development.
NIȽ TU,O is in the process of getting our C6 delegation which will allow us to take over the child protection work in the communities. We are actively seeking Band Council Resolutions (BCR’s) from the local band councils of the Nations we serve so that we can move forward with obtaining C6 delegation from the Province of B.C.
Please check out our website calendar by clicking on the “Calendar” button on our home page.
Yes. All information shared by a client with their Social Worker or Family Support Worker is held confidential and cannot be shared without the written permission of the client. The only exception to this policy is if a client shares information that indicates that they may be a danger to themselves or to others or that a child may be in need of protection.

Intake is confidential – when you call our office, if you ask for Intake you do not have to give your name to the receptionist. You will be forwarded to a Social Worker who will assist you with your questions.

Call us. We will be happy to direct you to the right person to provide you with the information that you are looking for.