As a Family Support Worker (FSW), you will be part of a collaborative team, working alongside community designates, staff from the Ministry for Children and Family Development (MCFD), and Delegated Social Workers of NIȽ TU,O Child and Family Services Society. You will provide intensive support services to families referred by MCFD and will assist them in developing their skills and ability to safely care for their children. Some of your work will involve assisting families and / or youth to navigate the complex service network and to reduce barriers in accessing services, as well as building connections with culture and community. You will report to a Community Services Manager. The work primarily takes place in the Southern Vancouver Island geographic area.
* Pursuant to Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to qualified applicants of Indigenous ancestry. *
Please note that only those applicants shortlisted will be contacted. If you do not hear from us about this position, please accept our sincere appreciation for your interest in working at NIȽ TU,O!
· Degree or Diploma in Social Services, or combination of education and experience
· Two years in a related field working with Indigenous children, youth, and parents in a human services capacity
· Computer proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook
· Ability to write detailed reports
· Basic knowledge of the CFCSA and the understanding of the criteria used to assess risk
· Experience working with First Nation communities, and knowledge and appreciation of the local First Nation community and culture
· Valid Driver’s license and a positive driving abstract. The position requires an outreach component and driving for work-related purposes and willingness to accommodate a flexible work schedule
· Must provide a clear Criminal Record check
· Work remotely-No
· This position requires Union membership in the BCGEU
Submit your Cover Letter and Resume as one document
· Please include “self-identified” if you are voluntarily self identify as Indigenous.
· This position is open to all applicants per section 24.2 of the collective agreement.
- Extended Health and Dental care
- Employee Assistance Program
- Public Service Pension Plan
- On-site parking
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $32.79-$37.64 per hour
- Describe any work or lived experience you have with Indigenous populations?
- Are you legally eligible to work in Canada?
- Have you submitted a cover letter along with your application? Yes/No
- driver’s license with no restrictions (required)
Work Location: In person